Saturday, July 29, 2006

We taught her how to knit and whistle

An update on the cousins:

Saturday
Casey has been here for one week. It has been unbearably hot and humid, with thunderstorms randomly cruising through the area, and we've been stuck inside sans air conditioning for the better part of the week. So we taught her how to knit and whistle, and this is how we passed the time. Her scarf is almost done, and she can now do a couple of notes with her whistling. Good progress! Oh, and we ate lots of cookies and ice cream, which has not been good.

Teenagers are tough. One minute cheerful and chatty, the next sitting on the couch looking as though she might die of boredom. I hope she hasn't hated her week here, but with Harrison in tow it was not an action filled adventure. Or rather, it was, but not the type of adventure that teenagers normally associate with FUN. Is it different when they're your own kids? Can you just tell them to snap out of it? I suppose time will tell.

Sunday
We swapped kids last night and now we have Brian again. He is the opposite of Casey in that he is all about the conversation. He'll talk endlessly about anything and everything, and so far there have been no sullen periods spent on the couch staring at the wall. He and Brendan are bonding over our CD collection, and Brian will go home with some 'new' tunes for his ipod...old tunes he has just discovered, and we're surprised at his diverse tastes.

As for me, I am exhausted. I am not used to having people (aside from Harry and Brendan) around all of the time, every waking moment. I feel as though I would need to sleep all day, all night, and all of tomorrow before I'd feel like myself again. In think Harry is with me on this, as he has a serious case of the Grumps again, and has not been eating anything but grapes. He is either too distracted, or he's teething, or he's just out of sorts from the extra people in our home. At any rate we'll get a break starting this afternoon, as both kids head to Grandma and Grandpa Sullivan's with their mom for the rest of their visit. And as tiring as it has been I will miss them both, and I have had fun. I liked vicariously revisiting the ages of 13 and 15...both strange ages as one stands on the cusp of adulthood but is not quite removed from childhood. I enjoyed their opinions and ideas, and I think they are growing up to be grand, interesting people.

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, Casey really enjoyed her week with you. She said she would like to come and stay again next summer! You better rest up! Thanks for having both the kids, they had a great time. I know it is a lot of work having the extra people in the house, I really appreciate the time you spent with them! Casey has her knitting needles and yarn packed already for our trip to Michigan. I guess she is enjoying the knitting. We leave the day she comes home from camp. She will have spent 1 night home in 32 days by the time we get back from detroit. She seems to like to travel, home is the only place she complains of being bored. I guess I'm not as much fun as you! She told me to give you her address to camp so you can write to her!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete