Wednesday, April 16, 2008

In The Early Morning Light

Yesterday we had the delight of spotting nearly ten purple finches on our sunflower seed feeder.  They sat and consumed for nearly an hour, pausing only to quarrel over whose turn it was to hop into the tube through the opening where the lid used to be, the lid having gone by the way of rogue squirrels.  Backlit by the sun the finches' crests were a blazing red seldom seen in nature.  My Grandpa used to call goldfinches "Pig Birds" due to their lack of inhibition when it comes to eating.  They can put away some serious seed!
Harrison slept in this morning and while he finished his breakfast Emma and I snuck outside to take a quick look at the purple crocus blossoms in our dooryard garden.  It has been a year since the last crocus bloom, and Emma had just come home the last time.  I think I missed them entirely last year, such was my exhaustion and preoccupation with our new daughter.  This year my daughter runs around the yard and points them out, happily tromping through my garden, leaving a trail of tiny footprints in her wake. 




The air is still chilly so we didn't stay out for very long, but Emma stopped for one last pose before we could go inside. 

1 comment:

  1. Emma is such a doll. She looks so inocent in those pics :) (Yes, I can hear the little evil laugh - "I've got them fooled now!" ha ha ha ha)

    ReplyDelete