Monday, October 6, 2008

A Visit To Hick's

Apple season has descended upon Upstate NY along with the fall foliage that is almost at its peak.  We spent a crisp Sunday morning picking apples at Hick's yesterday.
 
Old apple trees with crooked bent branches surround the barn and house and hundreds of happy bees buzzed around our heads as we tried to scarf down our apple cider doughnuts.

The kids sipped from a cup of steaming apple cider, while I insisted on spending three dollars on maple sugar cotton candy.  The cider? Always a winner.  The cotton candy?  The best I have ever had, and I do consider myself a bit of a cotton candy connoisseur. 

After our snack at the barn we made our way to the orchard, where the apples were so ripe they were falling off the trees. 

The apple coverage on the ground made walking difficult for small feet, so Grandma and Grandpa pitched in to help carry Harrison and Emma and assist in their picking efforts.


I picked some, too!

I was feeling a little stiff and sore during the apple picking because I had run my first 5K the day before, hence the wincing look on my face.

Brendan kept track of our bags and reached the reddest apples high up in the trees that were out of reach for the rest of us shorties.  He also rescued Harry for the (apparently) horrifying apple studded ground and wet grass. 

We tried to get a decent picture of the kids together, but the minute the camera was obviously pointed at them they became jumping beans and would not hold still. 

We took some group shots,
  
and a few of us posed by the car.

The orchard was beautiful, the apples were outrageously expensive but delicious, and a good time was had by all.  Even me, despite being so sore that I was, admittedly, a little grumpy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment