Wednesday, December 31, 2008

C'mon 2009!

Tomorrow begins a new year, so it only makes sense to do the blog recap thing as we say so long to 2008. So, in no particular order of importance, in 2008...

...Harrison turned three and finally potty trained.

...Emma learned how to run and was finally able to sort of keep up with her big brother.

...Brendan nearly completed our swimming pool deck before the snow began to fly, with much help in the form of manual labor and moral support from our families. Big thanks to everyone for pitching in!

...Max the Rabbit left us, leaving a hole in our hearts that was formerly filled with his funny bunny ways. You are fondly remembered, Max.

...I started to learn to play the guitar and someday I hope to be able to play something without looking at my hands.

...Harrison got his first two wheel bike and after two days of riding declared that he was ready for us to remove the training wheels. We told him that he might be ready, but we are not. And that is the truth.

...We took a lovely family vacation at Lapland Lake for the second year in a row and vowed to return again in 2009.

...I lost my Grandma and somehow manage to smile every time I think of her, despite being overwhelmingly sad that she is gone.

...Emma turned two and FINALLY started using words and sentences! Hooray for big leaps in development!

...Harrison started preschool and thrived on the structure of it all, leaving Emma and I to our own devices for seven hours a week. It's been lovely getting to know my daughter, and lovelier still knowing that Harrison is socially and developmentally on target with his peers.

...Brendan got an iTouch for Christmas and was never heard from again. Just kidding. But he is quite enamored of his new technology, as well as the cool factor that goes along with it.

...I ran my first 5k, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Albany, NY. It was a completely humbling yet life-affirming experience and I cannot wait to start training for the race this spring. I ran for our lost school-mate, Lisa Joseph, and my mom's friend, Tonya Markham.

...We made the best purchase for our house ever when we got a woodstove. I am sitting beside it right now, all toasty warm and cozy.

...We finalized Emma's adoption, becoming an official family of four!

...We celebrated with numerous family and friends as babies were born and other adoptions were finalized. It is so much fun to see other families growing!

...We drank a lot of tea.  Which we always do, but we drink so much that it is certainly worthy of mention.

We won some, we lost some. We laughed and cried, we spent happy days and frustrated days, we wished some days away and hoped others would stretch on forever. And now, sitting here on this last night of the year it seems as though all of it, all of those millions of moments, went by in a flash. I can honestly say that I am looking forward to 2009 and all that it may, or may not, bring. I am looking forward with great hopes for our families, friends, country, and world.

Wishing you and yours a very happy, safe, and peaceful New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment