Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Packing

I just hung up the phone with Brendan, ending a conversation that began with me asking, in a small voice, "Are you sure you do not want to hire the movers?" He chuckled. I did not.

We had, you see, decided that the cost of movers to pack and truck our things on our own dime was ridiculously expensive, to the tune of nearly $4,000 if we did not need storage, but more than $7,000 if we did need storage, and we will likely need storage for a week or so. After much hemming, hawing, and calculating we decided to use PODS to move and we found that the cheapest boxes to buy could be found at U-Haul. The savings is at least $3,000 and at most $6,000, but the work that lies ahead of us is daunting. Remember that 13,000 lbs of stuff? I am working through it, one item at a time, trying to decide what to keep, what to donate, and what is simply trash. We have less than two weeks to pack up, as we need to be out of this house by the 29th in case everything falls together and we close on time. I am a wee bit scared.

We have lots of offers of help which are greatly appreciated, but for this segment of the game we have to go it alone...there is really no one but me who can go through my collection of craft supplies and decide what to keep, you know? It is probably good that we are going to pack it all up because we can take some time to be decisive about what need and what we don't, but if Brendan comes home tonight and says "Let's hire the movers" I will not disagree with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment