Friday, October 2, 2009

Ceiling Paint

I'm painting our son's room today and, like any good do-it-yourself-er, I started with the ceiling. I don't think ceilings are generally thought of much when people set out to paint the rooms in their homes, but what a difference a coat of paint makes! It brightens the room incredibly and it just feels good to have a fresh, clean layer of paint overhead. In our first house I was meticulous about the ceilings and painted each one two shades lighter than my chosen wall color. This was a fine idea and looked great, but must have been a pain for the woman who bought our house when we sold it just one year later: all of the ceilings had the popcorn-type of finish and were incredibly hard to cover the first time, perhaps worse when she tried to recoat them. I am not making that mistake again; all of my ceilings will be flat white this time around.

It should be stated that I do not like painting ceilings much at all. Cutting in is a pain because I am on the short side and cannot reach the ceiling well with a paint brush, and rolling the paint on involves much guesswork until the paint is dry and I can see all of the spots I missed. And today, to top it all off, a spider that I didn't notice jumped onto my nose as I was cutting in and caused me to emit a horror-film-worthy girly scream that was, ahem, a little embarrassing. Thank goodness I was the only one in the house at the time and was able to catch myself before I fell off the ladder. All in a day's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment