Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Just Right

100_7407
We’ve got a new place to add to our list of favorites, a new place to go and hide away from the world for just a little while.  It is wonderful, so very quiet and still, with birds and butterflies and chipmunks and turtles, too. 
I love it. 
It isn’t so far that we can’t sneak away for the afternoon and be back before dinner, but it’s far enough that it feels like another world entirely.  There are nice neighbors who drop off the best chocolate milk ever, and the water is cool and glassy, perfect for cutting into with a sharp dive. 
Almost as soon as we arrive the kinks work themselves out of my shoulders and I forget for a little while that my kids are forging ahead into their school lives next week and that my life is going to be, suddenly, much more empty.  I forget the dishes, the laundry, and the floors that need cleaning.  I forget that I am 33 with a family and dogs and a house. 
At camp, for a little while, I just am
I am the kid that sneaks down the dock for just one more swim before we leave.  I am the mom in the moment, watching her babies show off their latest swimming accomplishments.  I am the daughter having a beer with her mom at 3 in the afternoon.  I am the big-kid having a raft race with my son, and trying hard to win because he’s fast.  I sing the whole ride there and the entire way home.  I laugh, with my mouth and my eyes. 
Mom, you never have to buy me another present, ever, as long as you keep the camp.  Thank you!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment