Friday, December 3, 2010

Mama’s Got a Brand New Bag

 100_8418

I never put away the sewing mess left behind from the great curtain project of 2010*  and I finally decided yesterday that if it was going to take up my entire dining room then then my sewing machine and it’s accomplices ought to be useful.  Did I create a flurry of handmade Christmas gifts?  No.  Did I finish sewing the Roman shades for the kitchen?  No.  I sat down with 1/2 yard of Amy Butler fabric from my stash and whipped up a bag.  For myself.  Oh, selfish selfish Mama!

100_8413

I didn’t use a pattern for this, just sketched out a shape on paper and cut the pieces the way I knew they would fit, making an open topped messenger bag of the sort that I have been wishing for for months now. 

 100_8417

A little flap and magnet closure will hopefully keep things from spilling out too much, while still allowing me to slip my hand inside quickly for wallet, shopping list, cell phone, etc. 

100_8416 

It also has a nice wide strap that is reinforced with heavy duty fusible interfacing.  I tend to wear my bags out, so beefing this one up a bit was important.

100_8409 

Now, if we could all get well from this wicked pneumonia I would be able to get out shopping and try this new bag out! 

100_8419

*pictures of the new curtains coming when I finally have four people free from pneumonia and have thoroughly cleaned the house. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so talented! I am so impressed...the only things I have ever been able to sew without a pattern were dog crate covers and a baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete