Monday, November 24, 2008

Make Something Every Day...I Dare You

Nothing makes me feel more satisfied or accomplished than making something with a few materials and my own two hands. I love sitting at my sewing table for an hour or two and walking away with a finished bag, pillow, or baby dress. Sitting in a comfortable chair with a warm cup of tea and my knitting in the evening helps my mind find peace; the simple act of working stitches into rows, rows into a section, and sections into a sweater feels like a natural progression toward something good and lasting. Making toys for Harrison and Emma, even when those toys are simple and short lived, helps me feel connected to their learning and play at the most basic of levels.

Making things feels good. It boosts my creativity, jump-starts my brain, and gives me a sense of accomplishment in my day that I rarely get in my other tasks. That is why, for the next month, I am going to make something every day, and I invite you to join me. From November 25 through December 24 I will make something every day and post about it here. I'll keep the rules simple:

  • The item must be created that day – no posting old items because I’m short of time. 
  • Made items can be as simple as a sketch or as complex as I can manage in one day.
  • Knitting counts, but if I am working on a big project I will commit to finishing a large section in one day…one row seems a little lame.
  • Alterations, both aesthetic and purposeful, on an existing piece can count.  For example, I have a few clothing pieces that need alterations before I can wear them: pants in need of a hem, shirts need darts, etc.
  • Gifts for the holidays count…so if you happen to be my mom or sister or friend, don’t be sad if you open something you’ve already seen; obviously I won’t post the name of the person I am giving the item to.  You’ve been forewarned!
  • Money does not have to be a limiting factor, for me or for you!  Get really creative and see what you can make without buying anything at all.
  • Do it every day, no excuses. 
  • Posts will be titled “Today I Made This”

In these worrisome economic times, the ability to take the wisp of an idea from the point of  inspiration and build it into a tangible body of work is priceless.  Challenge yourself and see how capable you really are; I bet you’ll be amazed at what your own two hands can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment