Thursday, February 19, 2009

Harrison is Four



We blink and it happens: our children change and grow and mature without us even realizing it is happening, until suddenly sitting before us is the school aged version of the baby we once knew.  Our baby has grown, and where he once babbled and cooed there now sits a tall and lean little boy, independent in all of the ways that matter at his age, able to engage adults with his good manners, wit, and charm.  When I look at him I see his inquisitive nature, his love of problem solving, his ability to nurture and care when the people he loves are hurt or sad.  I see his love of a good story, his sense of adventure, his admiration of nature and the world around him.  I see his glorious sense of humor and the mischievous twinkle in his eyes.  Oh, yes, there are impish little boy parts, too, but when I look at the big picture of our son I see the strength of his character, the line sketch of the man he will one day be.



















I see him and my heart smiles.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Sara, the outfits fit awfully well. If I could get past the pure joy on the kids' faces, I'd take a longer look at those shiny shoes you found to match. The kids are enthralling... it's such a privilege to be able to watch them grow.

    Happy birthday, sweet Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Harry! He really is growing into such a little man! Emma looks adorable as well. I loved reading your tribute to him---very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete