Saturday, March 25, 2006

At the end there are some pictures

You may have noticed that I haven't been blogging much lately (shame, shame) and you might be wondering what I've been up to that has eaten into my blogtime. I have been wondering the same thing. No really, what is it about time that it just disappears when you're not paying attention?

In all honesty, though, I have been busy with a few things:

1. I have started drawing again. For those of you who don't know I majored in art in college and then, much to my collective parents' chagrin, I stopped doing anything professionally art related after graduation. Why? Because it is harder than you might think to have a career in art, especially if one does not want to teach (which one doesn't in this case). After sending application after application to any and all art related businesses, museums, etc, etc., I found that I simply needed to get a job, and proceeded to work a series of unrelated, dead-end, boring jobs. Since Harrison's arrival I have been getting back to my formerly creative self in bits and chunks, and this week I got out the charcoal, the textured paper, and I just started to draw. I have a new "model" who is quite fidgety but really cute and says charming things to me while I sketch him, such as "bah" and "gigoo" ( get you). He also blows the occasional raspberry and works for Cheerios. When I feel more confident in my efforts I will post some of my latest drawings for your viewing pleasure.

2. Brendan and I have taken a look at our five year plan (could that sound more dorky?) and we think we want to try this adoption thing again. Because of the necessary costs associated with international adoption financial timing will be of key importance. We should be able to get the $10,000 tax credit in 2007, and that gets us halfway to another child...we do have loan options available, and some savings, but we don't want to put our finances at risk during a second adoption, and if at all possible we both agree that I should stay home with the kiddos, sans career (aside from being home manager and head chef). I have been brainstorming for ideas on how to earn some money while staying home. I have listed some items on ebay, namely sea glass jewelry that I've been making (I used to sell it in craft shops while living in New England). So far I have sold one piece...a slow start, but it costs me very little money/time to make them and I am still just figuring out the whole ebay process. Also, after getting rave reviews on the little fleece coat I made Harrison last fall, I am considering making baby clothes and selling them...but this is only in the idea phase of things right now. I am open to any and all ideas you might have for a somewhat creative gal like me to make some cash for family expansion!

3. Reading. I mentioned that I bought some new books, and I have had my eyes glued to the pages for the better part of a week now. I loaned out The Lovely Bones, but I finished The Time Traveler's Wife. It was a very interesting concept, a great love story, and it made me cry. I really, really liked it and would highly recommend it...although my MIL thought it wasn't rated "M" (for mom), so be careful who you recommend it to (some sex, foul language...would be rated R as a film). I also read In Her Shoes this week which I thought was great as well. It also made me cry (I do love a weepy read!) and felt I could really relate to being the older, chubby sister who has an effortlessly gorgeous little sister. I must take a book break, though, as Brendan hates it when I do nothing but read. (Although I must admit that the pages of the curious incident of the dog in the night time are beckoning me...)

And now, because you have been patient in reading my very long post, I will reward you with more pictures of our star and his new shoes:



2 comments:

  1. OOH - I love those little green sneaks!

    Good luck on adoption #2 - we plan to go back right away for #2 so I know what you mean! I'm also going to try to stay home.

    Where are you listed on ebay? I'd love to look at your stuff.

    I'm creative but not crafty...maybe we can go into e-biz together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I think I liked the unedited version of this post better. It got me thinking...maybe I should buy me some baby stuff just in case God sneaks me a kid when I'm not expecting it.

    ReplyDelete