Monday, February 5, 2007

The date he was due

In seven days the H-Man will turn two, and I will become the mom of a two-year-old.  Because he was born a week overdue today was Seung Min's (Harrison's) due date, and I keep finding my thoughts turning to his birthmother, and also his birthfather.  I wish they could see him, the beautiful boy whose smile automatically makes the corners of your mouth tug upward, whose eyes twinkle mischievously when he's about to do something funny, whose hair rises in tufts on the sides when he wakes up, whose hands grasp our fingers in a strong little grip when he is pulling us to see something new he has discovered.

I wonder how his mother felt, two years ago, when her much awaited due date came, and then went.  I wonder how much she struggled at that time, what her thoughts were, how she coped, if she felt secure in her decisions.  I wonder if she knew that the life she sheltered within her body would make my life so very fulfilled.  I wonder if his birthfather knew about him, and if he did does he wonder about his baby now?

If I could meet them, the two souls that came together to create the child I know as my son, there are a million things I would love to ask.  I'd love to know whose eyes he has.  Where did his great belly laugh come from?  And his love of running?  Did his mother dance with him while she was pregnant?  Because he has very good rhythm and loves music and dancing.  Most of all I would love for them to be able to see what a great kid he is, how happy he is, and how loved he is.  I want them to know that he has changed our world in a million subtle ways, good ways, and that every day we feel blessed to share our lives with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment