Monday, February 5, 2007

See? See? See?

It's the world of a chatterbox within these four walls.  A constant dialogue of discovery, excitement, and the occasional whining spews forth from the wee one's mouth all day long, ceasing only when Curious George is on t.v. or when our boy is sleeping.  And while I have no idea what is normal for an almost two-year-old, I think his speech is very good for one so small.  I can understand 95% of what he's trying to say and I think others can probably catch 40-50%.  I remember back a few months when I was wondering why he never said any meaningful words, and I worried we might need early intervention.  Hah!  Oh, Former Self, you worried too much. 
This morning Harry is obsessed with the snow:
See?  Snow Mommy.  Snow.  See?  Outside snow.  Riley Charlotte outside snow.  Snowing!  Is Snowing!!  Yahoo!  Yippee!  SNOW!!!! See?  See it?  Snow.  Hmmmm, Snow.  WOO HOO!
In my moments of finding his new speaking abilities really fun, I taught Harrison the exclamations yahoo, yippee, woo hoo, and yay.  And how they have come back to haunt me! 
In the car Harrison points out the things we pass, and sometimes adds counting to his repertoire.  He can count from one to ten correctly by himself, but he really favors the numbers 6, 7 & 8.  He sees to throw them into his counting randomly, as if for emphasis:
See?  See?  See?  Cars!  Cars.  One. Two. SIX, Cars!  Digger.  See?  Digger!  Digger, see?  See? SEVEN!!
He seems to need to know if we can see what he sees.  He will repeat 'see?' until we say, "Yes, I SEE the CAR" at which point he'll give a satisfied nod of his head and start asking us to see something else.  Around and around we go.  Did I mention he only has two speeds?  ON and SLEEP.  There is literally nothing in between.  When he is tired he speeds up, running faster, talking more, being more clumsy and more demanding.  When he has just woken up he makes demands even before his eyes are fully open.  He shouts for juice, milk, crackers, bananas, and the favorite lately: raisins.  This week we ran out of raisins and I forgot them when we went to the grocery store.  From the crying and whining and general dragging about of one small child, you would have thought the world had ended, or was about to.  He very much knows what he wants and when he wants it.  So this is what people mean when they speak of the age two!
And here is where I will discredit all of my seeming annoyance and general tiredness of the constant chatter:  I love this age.  I love that he can ask for things and I can understand him.  Even when he whines and cries because I have said 'no' to his requests, I love that we are having meaningful conversation.  I am really enjoying watching his personality take shape and I find myself chuckling at the things he points out and asks for.  And he is funny!  At my mom's house the other day he said "please sit down", grabbed each of us by the hand, dragged us to the floor, and patted the spot in which we should sit.  When we were all sitting on the kitchen floor, he smiled and giggled a little.  He is able to understand reasoning and sequence of events, to a certain extent.  If I tell him that we're going to leave the house, so first we need shoes, a coat, gloves, and a hat he will (sometimes) collect those items and bring them to me.  Or he will point it out if I do things in a different order than  I said I would.  And while it is tough to have him constantly checking my work, my schedule, and what I'm seeing, I really enjoy him as a person and I love watching him grow. 
Now, if only we can get him to use the potty!  He's wearing pull-ups today, and somehow he knows who Buzz and Woody are, even though he's never seen Toy Story.  Interesting.  And per Brendan's request I will try to post more pictures soon.  We have a new camera and the learning curve, for me, is wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment