Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Bounce

Today I bought Harrison his first ever bouncy ball. You know, the kind they sell from big bins at Wal Mart or the grocery store...large, plastic, and bouncy. We had been shopping for supplies for his birthday party when he started to get cranky and so, in keeping with scores of other parents who bribe their children to be good, I headed to the toy aisle. I kept telling myself that I'd scope out the selection of one year old toys so I'd have a better idea of what Brendan and I could get him, but the reality was I needed a Baby Distraction Device, and I needed it stat!

I wheeled my cart past countless unsuitable distractions and then rounded a corner to behold my pot at the end of the rainbow: a big bin of colorful bouncy balls! There were big ones and small ones, soccer balls and volleyballs, and balls with cartoon characters on them. Being old fashioned I chose a simple blue marbled ball and handed it to Harry, whose face cracked into a huge smile. "Wow!" he exclaimed, all crankiness dissolving into the past.

I stuck the ball in between the seat back and the front bars of the cart and Harrison played the ball like a drum as we picked out soda, bananas, and tea bags. When we got in line (why are there never more than two darned aisles open at Wal Mart???? It kills me to see 20 aisles, yet only two cashiers available. It's a wonder they have survived so long...) I let him free the ball from the cart and he had fun throwing it to me and watching it bounce on the floor. Even the other people in line behind us started to play! It was probably the most fun I've ever had at Wal Mart.

In other news Harrison has a cold and cough. Yuck. I am more than ready for winter (The Season of Sickness) to end. We've been spending most of our week resting so he'll be well for his party, and the rest of the time I've been spending getting ready for the party (cleaning, organizing, etc.). I also started building a bench for our mudroom, which I hope to have in before the festivities begin on Saturday. We also started insulating the room in the basement (pictures coming), which was recently wired by my dad and Brendan. Yay! Progress on the basement means that sooner than later the plastic jungle will exit my living room, or at least most of it will. Three cheers for everyone who has helped us:

Hip, Hip, Hooray! Hip, Hip, Hooray! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment