Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's all downhill from here

Um, who took my kid and replaced him with this tazmanian devil of tears, tantrums, and rage? I'd like my son back ASAP. Thank you very much. Please hurry.

I don't know what happened in the last 72 hours, but since he turned one Harrison has decided it's us against him, and quite frankly I think he's winning. This is not good. He has had full blown temper tantrums (yes, plural) this week, complete with child belly flopped and pounding his little fists and feet onto the floor. When we dare to put him down for a moment to do something, such as cook him dinner, he won't put weight on his feet, but rather slumps to the floor in a pile of tears. And then screams, at the top of his lungs, at the apparent injustice of it all. I am at a loss. He is not sick, he does not need his diaper changed, he is not tired, he is not hungry, and he could not possibly need more attention than he is getting. He is simply in a fit of rage, and I am ill equipped to deal with it. What I find really strange is that when we're out of the house running errands, playing in the yard, or walking with the stroller he is fine. Normal. Not a peep out of him except to say something cute that may or may not be a new word. So, to the random passersby he seems happy and mellow, such a good baby. If only they knew!


Our pediatrician has assured me that nothing is wrong with Harry, other than he has become a toddler and discovered his will and his voice. I know this is good in terms of development but I'll admit I was completely umprepared for the screaming fits of rage, the inconsolable tears, and the need to be constantly held. Someone please tell me this is just a phase and he'll grow out of it soon...I need to hear those words right now!





4 comments:

  1. Of course you know my baby is still in Korea (maybe not even born yet...) but happy to oblige. It's just a phase and he'll grow out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I have been following your blog, I am also on adoption.com forum but don't post much. I got my Baby Willow from Korea July11 and have a bio son who is 2.5. They both do this and I am also a psychiatrist and the good news is he feels like he can throw a fit because he knows you will be there and still love him so this is actually a good sign of attachment! I would wrry if he wasn't throwing temper tantrums, one thing I have talked with other Korean adoptive parents about is it seems that the babies want to arch there backs and throw them selves back, Willow definately does this! Wanted to say hi, my email is cmarkhamabedi@yahoo.com I would love to hear from you, I think Harrison and Willow came over at similar times!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ drops to her knees, then falls back on the floor & screams bloody murder!!! Or she goes belly down & bangs her head on the floor. God forbid I turn my back, or try to help her with her spoon. Or can't figure out what "aaaahhhhhh" & a finger point means. Or I tell her that Baby Einstein is not on right now. Or.... you get the idea. I hope my sweet little girl will come back home soon!

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Remember THIS?  Round two has begun, only with higher pitched whining and brief moments of remorse from the [...]

    ReplyDelete