Friday, June 30, 2006

Independence Day

We are at the beginning of the weekend that marks my favorite holiday, Independence Day, better known in my household as the Fourth of July. There are many reasons to love the Fourth, and here are mine:

1. I don't have to buy anyone a present. Easier on my budget means I can enjoy the day with less stress.

2. I don't have to send a card. I am not a big fan of the so-called "Hallmark Holidays" which guilt us into spending several dollars per card per person for seemingly any and every holiday...St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, Easter, Christmas, etc. Before Harrison I made my own cards in a small protest, but now I haven't got as much free time.

3. There are no mandatory or obligatory family gatherings to attend, which means our time is our own. Brendan and I both have large families, and we both love our families, which means that most of our holidays are actually spent traveling between the homes of our loved ones. We never get to spend more than an hour or two at each stop and it can become a frustrating marathon, especially now that we have Harrison and all of his gear to lug around, too. On the Fourth we can do whatever we want, whether that means going to the lake for the day, staying home, or just watching a movie, there is no pressure and no timeline. Ahhhhhh.

4. BBQ. Need I say more? Chicken slathered in yummy BBQ sauce, pasta salad with black olives and fresh herbs, potato salad (although mine is never as good as my Dad's), chips and dip, watermelon, strawberry shortcake, homemade lemonade, baked beans, etc. How could I not love a holiday with such a feast attached to it? In my book it beats out Thanksgiving, easily.

5. Fireworks are cool...I love the very idea of shooting flaming rockets into the sky for the sole purpose of watching them explode into myriad colors and shapes. However, my dogs would rather not witness this part of the celebration as it makes them slightly, er, very uncomfortable.

6. Four days of fun! Because the Fourth falls on a Tuesday this year the festivities will encompass the weekend, Monday, and Tuesday...At least they will for us. Unlike the one-day-only pressure of Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mothers and Fathers Days, and Easter, we have four days over which to spread the fun. Yipppeeeeee!

7. I don't have to give out candy or create a super fabulous costume for my (somewhat unwilling) son to wear from house to house. And I don't have to schlep from house to house with said son.

8. The weather has a good chance of being nice, simply because it is July. We're pretty certain it won't snow or sleet, and even if it rains we can have fun indoors without the need for bulky sweaters and wool socks. That, in itself, is good reason to celebrate!

9. There are good sales on anything and everything, which can help us kick start a better-than ever summer! And I do love to shop for deals...

10. It is the birthdate of our country. Although the good 'ole USA has its problems (don't get me started) it was founded on the premise of freedom and liberty for all, and it is the beloved home of my birth. The Fourth reminds me not to take for granted my position in the world. I was lucky to be born here, and I am grateful for all of the opportunities I have been provided just for being a citizen of the United States. To grow up knowing that I could be and do anything I put my mind to is huge, and most women of the world do not have that priviledge. The Fourth reminds me not to be complacent, and it reminds me that we still have a long way to go before our country is all that it can be.

In keeping with the spirit of Independence Day, Harrison decided to free himself of the bars that have been holding him back, namely: his crib. He climbed out this morning and fell on his head (he's fine, although mom was slightly a wreck), and has since refused to stay put in it. I turned it around so the very tall side faces out, but he still tries to scale the rungs. I think he might be related to Spider Man. What do we do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment