Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Beating the Winter Blues

Winter can be especially tough for anyone who sets their bodyclock by daylight...I find myself able to sleep for really long stretches (well, when Harry allows it, anyway), staying indoors for days at a time, and snacking, well, a lot. Not good. In winters past I went snowshoeing, sledding, and for long, brisk walks in the freezing cold. All of those things help keep me sane during the dark winter months...this year, however, I have become idle once again. While I know I can take Harrison out in the cold if I bundle him up really well, it just seems to be so much work when we can only stay out for 1/2 hour.

So, in an effort to beat the winter blues I am switching my tactics. I am finding simple ways to "transport" myself to warmer climates and summery ideas. Behold:

1. Getting a tan. I first discovered Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer right before Christmas. I used it and liked it, except for the scent. I applied it before going out to dinner one night and all I could smell was my tan...dinner was ruined for me, at least the taste of it was. I have since found Neutrogena Build-a-Tan Gradual Sunless Tanning, which barely smells and works a little bit better, in my humble opinion. My rationalization for tan in a can is that I feel better about my body when I am not pastey white. With gradual sunless tanning it looks less fake, and I only have to apply it when I feel like I'm fading (both literally and mentally).

2. Music from a sunny place. While shopping at my local big box store I found a CD of music from south of the border that has been soothing my chilly bones ever since. Lifescapes: Mexico - Festival Cancun two CD set has had me on my feet dancing around the living room (with both Harry and Brendan...imagine!) and dreaming of salt rimmed maragritas. For whatever reason this music makes me feel warmer, and that makes winter more bearable.

3. Taking fresh to the next level....of cooking. I have been cooking dishes that you normally find in the summer, such as grilled burgers and pasta salad, fresh salsa with lime chips, shrimp kebabs, etc. I buy produce that is slightly out of season (and maybe a little more pricey) but it tastes so good to have something fresh to eat! Bring on the lemon and herb grilled tilapia!

4. Catching some rays. When the sun does shine through (not often, lately) I sit in a sunny window, close my eyes, and pretend I'm south of here. Just letting the sunlight hit your skin for a few minutes a day can change your whole outlook!

5. A light revolution. As lightbulbs die around the house, I have been replacing them with GE Reveal Bulbs...they offer light in the blue and red ranges, and eliminate the yellow indoor glow we normally see from our table lamps. And they also seem to reveal how dirty my house is, which makes me get up and move some more...

I hope my corny ideas help you if you're suffering from the blues. Harry is awakenng from his nap and I must go dance him around the living room! Arriba!

No comments:

Post a Comment