Thursday, March 8, 2007

Tracfone, I hate you.

It is 10:36 am, the time of day we are most likely to receive our travel call.
And the phone rings.
Don't get your hopes up, I tell myself as I prepare to walk across the room to the ringing phone.  Keep your cool, it's probably not them.
I calmly cross the room, carefully avoiding the wagging dog tails.  Even they can sense the abrupt onset of tension in the air.  I reach for the phone and see the caller id.  Unknown caller, it reads.  My heart is an audible thud thud thud in my chest as I answer the phone.
Hello?  Hello?  Heelllooooo?
No one is on the other end when I pick up, but then after a moment's pause a recording begins to play: "This is Tracfone Wireless.  If you-" I hang up on it, my hands shaking as I replace the phone on the receiver.  I don't even care what they felt they needed to tell me at 10:36 on a weekday morning. 
I am just about beyond wanting to know what anyone wants when they call unless they are our agency and I apologize for this lapse in character and kindness.  I am not myself right now.  It is as if the very anticipation of the call has a life of its own, and I am merely a puppet on a string, dancing to the phone when it rings with blind hope and faith.  When it is not THE CALL the puppeteer drops my strings and I crumple to the floor, figuratively, of course.  In reality I am going through the motions, but at every moment of the day, in the back recesses of my mind, I am thinking of the baby who will be our daughter and wishing with all of my being, every single cell, that she can be here soon. 
There is a reason I do not watch suspenseful movies, and a reason I do not read mysteries.  I am not good at this.  If this were I book I would have flipped to the last chapter already in order to find out what happens. 
Also, I apologize to Christy, who called exactly one minute after Tracfone.  I did not answer the phone because I could not bear to hear the disappointment in my own voice, and I did not want you to hear it, either.  I will call you back this afternoon, when all chance of travel calls is gone for yet another day, and I am returned to a person I sort of recognize for a little while.
I don't know how much longer I can hold onto the word "soon" before it becomes empty of hope.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely know what you mean. We were expecting the call "any day now" for four weeks, and I woke up each morning hopeful and with a spring in my step only to become unsprung by 10am. When the call finally did come, and I heard the coordinator's voice on the other end, I thought she was calling to tell me she hadn't heard anything and actually asked her if she was kidding when she said our baby was ready.

    Anyway, hang in there (yeah, right). It WILL come!

    p.s. I don't know if you feel this way--but the wait for the call was much hard the second time around. Maybe because I assumed it would be easier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it IS harder this time! I thought it would be so much easier, but I am really agonizing over the wait so much more this time around. So glad to know I am not the only one !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Sara! I just have a feeling that Monday will be the day! Wouldn't that be the best Birthday present ever!?!

    ReplyDelete